Ben Spies and Jorge Lorenzo were back in action today for the second of three days of testing at the Sepang International circuit in Malaysia. The Yamaha Factory riders took advantage of another day of mixed weather to test out the wet settings of the 1000cc YZR-M1 for the first time. A dry morning’s riding saw both make big improvements on yesterday’s dry times, wrapping up the day in first and second respectively.
Spies used today’s sessions to focus on set ups on the wet and the dry whilst team mate Lorenzo concentrated on refining the power delivery of his M1 with throttle and engine control. Tomorrow will mark the final day of testing for the MotoGP riders here in Sepang.
Ben Spies - Position 1st - Time 2.01.285 - Laps 35
“Today went well, the rain caught us out again but we got everything we needed to do done before lunch including some different chassis set ups and some electronics which we were pretty happy with. The rain started to come down so we waited until it subsided a little bit but with still a full wet track with standing water which we needed. We haven’t ridden the thousand in the rain and I’ve never ridden this track in the rain so it was good to get some laps in. I had quite a good feeling with the bike in the rain; straight away it felt pretty good so we rode in full wet conditions and stayed on wets when it dried out a little and was greasy. We’ve got a lot of stuff to do tomorrow so we’re hoping for a dry day!”
Jorge Lorenzo - Position 2nd - Time 2.01.293 - Laps 26
“Today we improved a little the connection with the throttle and the engine, it’s much smoother and easier to ride, a big step forward from yesterday. We were able to try the 1000cc M1 on the wet for the first time and we went very fast so it’s been a positive day and we are very motivated to improve the bike more. We managed to complete everything we wanted to test so it’s been good!”
1. Ben Spies (USA) Yamaha Factory Racing 2'01.285 2. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Yamaha Factory Racing 2'01.293 3. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Yamaha Tech3 2'01.522 4. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) Yamaha Tech3 2'01.695
5. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Team 2'01.748
6. Hector Barbera (SPA) Pramac Racing Team 2'01.989
7. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Ducati Team 2'02.130
8. Franco Battaini (ITA) Ducati Team 2'03.566
9. Colin Edwards (USA) NGM Mobile Forward Racing 2'05.816
10. Ivan Silva (SPA) Avintia Racing 2'07.532
11. Yonny Hernandez (COL) Avintia Racing 2'08.213
Sepang Record Lap
C.Stoner (Ducati) 2007, 2'02.108