Maverick Viñales
News Report 26 August 2018
United Kingdom

2018 MotoGP Great Britain - Silverstone

View results Track information
Silverstone
5900 m
08 / 26 / 2018
16:30 Local time

Soaking Conditions at Silverstone Cause British GP Cancellation

Race

Due to safety concerns and track conditions the GoPro British Grand Prix has been cancelled.

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP's Maverick Viñales and Valentino Rossi were keen on racing in front of the British fans today at the Silverstone Circuit. Unfortunately, due to the very wet conditions right before the rescheduled GoPro British Grand Prix start at 11:30 local track time (GMT+1), the MotoGP race was delayed.

After four and a half hours of waiting and several meetings between IRTA, Dorna, the MotoGP teams, and the riders, it was ultimately decided that the British Grand Prix was to be cancelled.

Though the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team and its riders were disappointed not to be able to ride today, there's a consensus on the decision that safety should come first.

Massimo Meregalli

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP - Team Director

"This is a unique experience in special conditions. Having a race cancelled is a worst-case scenario and a last resort. However, I think we can all agree that safety of the riders should always come first. It would have been irresponsible to send them out on track today, knowing their concerns regarding aquaplaning. Our hearts go out to the fans that have been patiently waiting and had been looking forward to the British GP. We are also thankful to the marshals and volunteers, who didn't abandon their station for several hours whilst we were all waiting for a verdict. We're all disappointed, but we respect and agree with this decision. We hope for better weather at the next round in Misano."

British Grand Prix Cancelled

Due to persistent rain from this morning, the track conditions at the resurfaced Silverstone circuit didn't allow the riders to do a safe race today, therefore the 12thround of the 2018 MotoGP World Championship season had to be called off.

Johann Zarco

Championship: 7th – Points: 104

"The race was canceled after we were waiting a long time today hoping that the rain stops and we have less water on the track. We usually can race when it's raining and although it was raining all day today, the rain was not very heavy. But with the new asphalt apparently, they did a mistake and it was so slippery with the bumps and there was aquaplaning. The crash on Saturday has been very strange and we could feel that almost every rider was already on the limit on the sighting lap. We took the decision we can not race because there was still too much water. It's a pity we can't go out there because we all were ready. But in the end, it's safer to take this decision."

Hafizh Syahrin

Championship: 16th – Points: 24

"The safety commission decided to cancel the race because there's just too much water on the track. I can't say much. We wanted to race, but there's nothing we can do. It's a pity with the new asphalt, so I hope they solve this kind of situation. I really wanted to go out and learn on the GP bike in these kind of conditions, but it's decided and we need to accept. See you next year, Silverstone! Now we just look forward to the next race, trying to improve and learn."

Hervé Poncharal

Monster Yamaha Tech3 - Team Manager

"I've always been a democrat and I respect the majority, I respect above everything the riders because they are the ones who take the risk and they can decide above anybody if it's safe to ride or not. Personally, straight after the grid formation and when we decided - which was the right decision from race direction - to postpone the start of the race, all the team managers had a meeting and there was a possibility as tomorrow there is a bank holiday in the UK and tomorrow the sun will be shining, the track will be dry, so everything was ready for a great MotoGP race, which most of the time we have here at Silverstone. But some team managers decided that they didn't want to do it, although we already did it in Qatar and it was not the end of the world to organize a few more rooms or change a few flight tickets. I have always been frank and said what I think and I think we should always try to race. There was a possibility to do it in a safe way and I'm disappointed we didn't take it. But anyway, let's forget about that, come out of here. We just can say that we feel very, very sorry for the spectators that have been around and waiting this race for a year and I think this should be more in our mind. We go back to the sunshine in the South of France and hopefully we'll have great race in Misano."