You are about to leave this website. Are you sure?

I agree, take me there

Extreme Weather on Australian GP Sunday Causes Sprint Cancellation

Extreme Weather on Australian GP Sunday Causes Sprint Cancellation

Due to extreme weather conditions, it was ultimately decided to cancel the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix Sprint.

Due to safety concerns because of the mixture of strong winds, rain, and cold temperatures at the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit this afternoon, the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix MotoGP Sprint has been cancelled.

Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP‘s Fabio Quartararo and Franco Morbidelli were keen on racing in front of the Australian fans in the 13-lap Sprint. Unfortunately, due to the very windy and wet conditions right before the rescheduled start of the Sprint at 13:00 local track time (GMT +11) and with no signs of the weather improving for the remainder of the Sunday, it was ultimately decided that racing was not feasible and that the Sprint had to be cancelled.

Though the Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Team and its riders were disappointed not to be able to ride today, there‘s a consensus on the decision that safety should come first.

The Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP teammates will be back in action next week for the Thailand Grand Prix, held at the Chang International Circuit, from 27th - 29th October.

Fabio Quartararo

Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP

"The weather conditions did not allow us to race today at Phillip Island, and that‘s a pity because it‘s a circuit that I really like, and I‘m always very happy to be here. It‘s true that this weekend we did not start in the best position for the Race, but I would have liked to be able to see our potential in the Sprint. In any case, the weather conditions have not allowed it. I‘m very sorry for the fans who came to see us, and I want to thank them for their support. Next year we will return and try to give our 100%."

Franco Morbidelli

Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP

"It was not a very active Sunday, unfortunately. I wish we could have given the Australian fans another race, even if the Sprint is only short. I feel bad for the fans who waited so long in the rain today, but the weather impeded us from racing this afternoon. It‘s a shame, but it is what it is. Luckily, we did the full-length Race yesterday. It was a bitter weekend. We will try to do better in Thailand."

Massimo Meregalli

Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP, Team Director

"Of course, we are very disappointed for the fans who came to the circuit today. However, we knew this was a possible turn of events, which is why we held the Race yesterday. We do agree with the decision to cancel the Sprint this afternoon. It is the right decision. The conditions were getting worse and worse, and safety must be the priority. We hope for better weather in Buriram!"